Creating Accessible Documents
Please find here detailed information about how to create accessible materials using a range of Microsoft, Adobe and Google tools. The information, developed by the Perkins School for the Blind, is available in several formats, including video instruction as well as checklists and how-to documents.
There are three documents and four videos included in this Excel section. The three documents:
- Excel Checklist. This checklist consists of 2 pages.
- Excel How-To. This is a 12-page document that expands on the checklist and provides detailed instructions about each of the checklist categories.
- Excel Demo. This file includes three tabs with examples of graphs and tables, along with instructions for each.
- Excel Part 1. This 12-minute video covers file name, file properties, text and color.
- Excel Part 2. Covers table headers, titles, cells, links and images in 11 minutes.
- Excel Part 3. In 10 minutes, this video explains charts, graphs, spacing, peripheral rows, and columns.
- Excel Part 4. This 9-minute video explains print area, accessibility check, and conversion to PDF.
There are two documents and two videos included in this Outlook section. The two documents:
- Outlook Checklist. The Outlook checklist consists of 2 pages.
- Outlook How-To. This 6-page document offers an in-depth explanation of each of the checklist categories.
- Outlook Part 1. This 9-minute video explains format, subject, text, color and headings.
- Outlook Part 2. In 11 minutes, this video covers hyperlinks, lists, images, signature and attachments.
There are four documents and three videos included in this PowerPoint section. The four documents:
- PowerPoint Checklist. The PowerPoint checklist consists of 2 pages.
- PowerPoint How-To. This 12-page document provides an in-depth look at each of the checklist categories.
- PowerPoint Demo. This document contains nine slides with examples of the kinds of content explained in the previous two PowerPoint documents.
- PowerPoint Assigning Language. This 2-page document explains how to assign language attribute to a foreign-language expression in a PPT.
- PowerPoint Part 1. This 12 ½ minute video covers file name, file properties, font, themes, and background color.
- PowerPoint Part 2. In 11 minutes, this video explains slide title, slide numbers, hyperlinks, reading order, and images.
- PowerPoint Part 3. This 14-minute video explains tables, lists, charts, graphs, accessibility check, as well as how to convert to PDF.
There is one document and four videos included in the Word section. The document:
- Word How-To. This 4-page document provides in-depth explanations for all critical parts of a Word file and its content.
- Word Part 1. In 11 minutes, this video explains file name, file properties, page numbers, text, color, and the use of whitespace.
- Word Part 2. Headings, table of contents, and data tables are explained in this 11-minute video.
- Word Part 3. This 12-minute video covers hyperlinks, lists, images, charts and graphs.
- Word Part 4. This video covers forms, accessibility check, and conversion to PDF in 10 minutes.
- Acrobat Checklist. This Acrobat checklist consists of 3 pages.
- Acrobat How-To. This 22-page document provides an in-depth explanation of each of the Adobe checklist categories.
- Google Docs Checklist. The Google checklist consists of 2 pages.
- Google How-To. This 14-page document covers each of the checklist categories in depth.
- Additional Resources. This 1-page document includes links to color contrast analyzer, accessible color palettes, alt-text decision tree, and Google accessibility resources.